Beaten by the flat cap

This is my second attempt at making a flat cap and, to be honest, I wouldn’t care if I never saw a flat cap again. 

It all started with trying to make a muslin. I was attempting to size up both my OH and son. 

The resulting muslin looked something like this: 

Fed up with measuring I decided to go ahead and make the finished product for my son. I made a muslin in the correct size and was good to go. 

The first problem I had was transferring in pattern onto my fashion fabric. I usually use carbon paper and a pattern wheel, but the carbon just didn’t want to show on my tweed. Next, the tweed had a bit of stretch in it so I made the effort to stay stitch around all the edges. 

The construction itself wasn’t too bad but turned out uneven which led to shaving a bit here and tucking a bit there and so on. After a full afternoon of that my so had to leave to go back to university and I finally admitted defeat. 

Sitting on the table, it looks passable, but it is not yet a wearable garment. I’m going to give up on if for today and go and read my new Sewing Bee book, but I don’t think this is the end of my battle with the flat cap


4 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. laflor5233
    Mar 02, 2015 @ 22:55:45

    Looks hard, but good luck.


  2. Niki & Robert Hall-McNair
    Mar 02, 2015 @ 06:40:09

    Thanks. I think I need a quick and easy sew before I go back into battle!


  3. Linda of Nice dress! Thanks, I made it!!
    Mar 02, 2015 @ 05:37:48

    It may be a battle, but I am sure you’ll win it! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: