A Crazy Crafternoon!

Last Saturday I helped to organise and host a ‘Crafternoon’ in aid of Comic Relief. The idea came about after seeing the Mollie Makes Crafternoon book talked about on Instagram. I bought the book immediately and after sharing details of my purchase on social media became aware of how interested people were in supporting such an event.

Once the book arrived it became apparent that I’d misunderstood the concept: Mollie Makes suggested making the objects to sell to raise money. This didn’t appeal nearly so much so I got together with our local sewing guru and we made the event suit our interpretation.

Our plan was to have a crafting, coffee and cake afternoon. People could come along and sample new crafts or bring along a personal project to work on in company while partaking in beverages and food. Jane and I raided our stashes of fabric and yarn and made examples of things people might like to try (including from the Crafternoon book).

Our event was well supported, provided many locals the chance to craft alongside like minded individuals, was a space for local crafters to meet old friends and make new ones, a great way to spend a rainy afternoon and raised £330!

Advertisements

Improvers class! 

My latest crochet project has been another fairly simple pattern, this time a hat. I have to tell you I’m pretty addicted to crochet right now and can hardly finish a project without starting something new! Mind you I want helped this week when I was gifted a whole stash of yarn.

Anyhow, back to the hat. It was a fairly simple crochet in the round pattern. I still find the getting started and first couple of rounds the hardest and, in this pattern, I had to combine stitches to make the trim. The pattern was from a magazine that must be published in America as it referred to double crochet as single, but with a glossary at the back of the magazine that wasn’t too difficult to decode. 

This was my first project using a bigger hook (5mm) and that also helped. I still have issues with keeping on track of the correct number of stitches, but got better as the hat developed. I added an extra couple of rounds for a slightly lower brim, but I wouldn’t do that again. I used some cotton rich Aran yarn that I bought in the Hobbycraft sale. I used some of the yarn to make a pair of dish cloths.

 I have enough yarn left to make another hat. What do you think? 

Learning something new

Over the Christmas period this year I finally got around to learning how to crochet. It all started when I visited the stitching and hobbycraft show at the NEC Birmingham back in November. I got very excited by and bought ‘Edwards Crochet Imaginarium’ by Kerry Lord

What I loved about the book was the split pages meaning you can mix and match body parts to create something truly exciting. That is if you can crochet! 

And so I started to learn the basics. Through a mixture of a crochet magazine, the ubiquitous YouTube and helpful hints from the ladies at Ewe Time (a drop in yarn group hosted by the Handspinner Having Fun in Broadford on Skye) I began to get my head around the stitches. 

I began at the beginning of December and have gradually improved throughout the project. I would say by the final leg I was starting to feel as though I knew what I was doing. Up until that point I found it difficult to count stitches accurately and would lose count completely if I had to unpick (which was quite frequently). You’ll notice that each body part is a different size. Like I  said before, with this pattern you can make unique creations! 

That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!