M is for Moneta

Some time ago I attended a Moneta dressmaking workshop at the Sewing Cafe in Hinckley. I had a great day putting together a lovely dress that is easy to make and comfortable to wear.

Sometime after that I attended the Sew Brum meet up in 2015 and bought some gorgeous green jersey from Guthrie & Ghani, where we spent a lovely afternoon.

Fast forward to 2017 and it was time to put the two together.

Since I made my last Moneta I have gained a little weight so my first job was to stick the pattern back together and, as I wanted quite a baggy dress, I cut out the largest size. After cutting out and re-threading my over-locker (I’m getting quite good at that now!) I was ready to go.

wp-1485355720367.jpg
It hardly takes a minute to whip it all together however there was a problem – it was way too big! I spent the next couple of days trimming off bits here and there, ending up with quite a fitted number after all (the quote from my OH was “You’ve got a figure, show it off!”).

wp-1485355755975.jpg
And so my second Moneta is complete!

 

 

Advertisements

If at first you don’t succeed… Unpick!

It’s always exciting to try something new and that is my plan for the next few days.
When I first got into sewing a friend popped round with a box full of jersey knits that have been sitting under my sewing table ever since. My recently made tunic top needs a long sleeved T-shirt to go under it and I just so happen to have a T-shirt pattern sitting around the house. All things seem to be pointing me towards facing my stretch fabric fears.

IMG_1093.JPG
I spent the weekend reading blogs and the like about how to best sew knits. It gave me a long awaited opportunity to attach my walking foot and give it a go.
My plan tonight was to cut out the paper pattern. This was achieved quite quickly, as was the adjustment to make the pattern longer so I decided to cut the fabric too.
That done (making a shorter sleeved T because the fabric I chose to try it out on wasn’t wide enough for long sleeves) I still had a bit of time to start sewing. Silly me!
It started well – I tried a few combinations of zig-zag width and length to find the best for me. I pinned my back pieces together and off I went. Great. After a couple of false starts because my thread kept snapping I was off. Only, when I came to sew on the front I discovered that one of the pieces was upside down! Cue a long session of unpicking. OK, not the end of the world but then the fabric gots itself stuck in the footplate resulting in a complete dismantling of the sewing machine in order to get it out.
Finally I was ready to go again and this time I successfully stitched the back seam. I have now pinned the shoulders, but that will do for today. Check back again to see if I. Ever get it finished!

IMG_1094-0.JPG